小道消息说,约翰可能要成为我们部门的经理。
I heard through the grapevine that John will probably become our office manager.
他是个讨厌到极点的人。
He is a pain in the neck .
为什么?
Why?
他是个马屁精。
He is a brown-nosier.
他很会拍马屁往上爬。
He is good at kissing up to get ahead.
他擅长拍老板的马屁。
He is good at sucking up to the boss.
我倒认为他挺胜任的。
But I suppose he’s well qualified.
我倒认为他很有才华。
*But I suppose he’s adequate.
*But I suppose he’s competent. But I suppose he has lots of talents.
你是从哪儿听到这个谣言的?
How did you get wind of the rumor?
我可不是一个传谣者
I am not a rumor-monger.
好了,别聊了,继续工作吧。
Lets stop gossiping and get back to work.