话题115 埃及金字塔
埃及金宇塔( Pyramids)建于4500年前,是古埃及法老和王后的陵墓。陵墓是用巨大石块修砌成的方锥形建筑,因形似汉字“金”字,故译作“金字塔”。埃及迄今已发现大大小小的金字塔110座,大多建于埃及古王朝时期。
英语情景会话
A: Do you have any vacation plans?
A:您假期有什么安排吗?
B: Not exactly, but I have made up my mind to see the Great Pyramid in Egypt for a few days.
B:还没完全定下来,但我决心要花几天的时间去看埃及的大金宇塔。
A: Wow. Great! I went there two years ago. It's one of the most interesting places I've ever been.
A:哦,太好了!两年前我去过那儿。那是我看过的最有意思的地方之一 。
B: I was told that those were actually tombs used to keep the Kings' corpse.
B:我听说那些建筑都是为了用来保存国王尸体的。
A: You're right. They are not only used to keep them safe after their death, but also to hold their treasures. As a matter of fact, the huge stone pyramids were built over those tombs.
A:您说得很对。金宇塔不仅为了保证他们死后的安全,而且也为了保存他们的珠宝。实际上,那些大石头金宇塔是建在那些国王坟墓上的。
B: How many of them are there?
B:共有多少个金宇塔?
A: They say there are over eighty pyramids in Egypt.
A:据说埃及有80多个。
B: Where are those pyramids located?
B:那些金字塔都在什么地方?
A: They are all on the west bank of the Nile River.
A:它们都在尼罗河的西岸。
B: Why not on two sides of the Nile?
B:为什么不在尼罗河的两岸?
A: The ancient Egyptians compared the rising of the sun to the beginning of life and the setting of the sun to the end of life. That's why the dead were buried on the west bank of the Nile.
A:古埃及人把太阳升起视作生命的开始,太阳落下为生命的结束。这就是为什么他们把尸体埋在尼罗河西岸的原因。
其他常用英语口语表达
Pyramid is a sight that I best wish to have a look.
金字塔是我最希望看到的景观。
Look, how big the pyramid of Khufu is!
你看!胡夫金字塔可真大啊!
We spent all day visiting the wonders that are the ancient Egyptian pyramids.
我们花了一整天参观这些古埃及金字塔的奇观。
常用英语词汇表达
Great Pyramid 大金字塔
the Sphinx 狮身人面像
mausoleum 陵墓
mummy 木乃伊
wonders of the world 世界奇观
pharaoh 法老
Giza 吉萨
mysterious 神秘的