3. Necessity必要
Dialogue 1
M: Do I need a visa?
我需要签证吗?
W: No, I shouldn’t think so. But you must take your passport of course.
不,我认为你不需要。但是你必须带上护照,这是当然的。
M: Yes, I know. I must get my traveler’s check and some foreign currency.
是的,我知道。我必须带上旅行支票和一些外国货币。
W: Yes, you need the traveler’s check but you needn’t get any foreign currency. You can have my US Dollars, I don’t need them.
是的,你需要带上旅行支票但是你不必带外国货币。你可以拿我的美元,我不需要用到它们。
M: Really? That’s very good of you, Helen. But I must get a new suitcase, my old one needs repairing.
真的吗?海伦,你真好。但是我必须买个新的手提箱,旧的那个要拿去修。
W: You needn’t buy one. You can have mine.
你不必买了。你可以用我的。
M: That’s very kind of you, Helen. I hope you don’t mind my leaving you like this. I need a holiday. It won’t be long.
海伦,你真是太好了。我希望你不介意我这样你离开你。我需要放假。不会太久的。
W: Don’t be silly, John. I’m going with you. It’s necessary for me to have a holiday too.
约翰,别傻了。我会和你一起去。我也需要放个假。
Dialogue 2
W: Hi, Mr. James, what’s the rush?
嘿,詹姆斯先生,你怎么那么匆忙?
M: The bank closes in 30 minutes and I need to cash a check.
银行还有30分钟就要关门了,我需要兑换支票。
W: I can lend you some money.
我可以借给你一些钱。
M: Thanks. But it’s necessary for me to buy a TV set.
谢谢。但是我要买台电视机。
W: Can I help you in anyway?
有什么我可以帮你的吗?
M: You can take me to the bank if you want to.
如果你想帮我的话,可以送我去银行。
W: Sure. Let’s go.
当然。我们走吧。
Dialogue 3
M: I really need a new pair of trousers.
我真的需要一条新裤子。
W: Do you?
是吗?
M: Yes, I do. This one is very old now.
是的,我是的。这一条现在很旧了。
W: They look all right to me.
在我看来还好。
M: They’re not all right. They’re uncomfortable and they look terrible.
不好。它穿起来不舒服,看起来很糟糕。
W: All right. All right.
好的。好