Learn English free online - how to pronounce word in English - English Learning Online- www.pronounceword.com

名人教英文:这个是我,挽着家父的手

名人教英文:这个是我,挽着家父的手

this is me on my father's arm
这个是我,挽着家父的手

bethan: aretha, come on, i'm dying to see your wedding photographs.
贝唐﹕ 快点,阿丽撒。我很想看看你的结婚照片。

aretha: ok, i'll get the album.
阿丽撒﹕好吧,我去拿相簿来。

bethan: it's so beautiful. ok, now open it up.
贝唐﹕ 真漂亮。好,打开相簿吧。

aretha: well this is me on my father's arm going up into the church.
阿丽撒﹕嗯,这是我挽着家父的手走进教堂。

bethan: and that's you and greg on the church steps after the ceremony. you both look great.
贝唐﹕ 而这是婚礼之后你和格雷在教堂梯级上留影。两人都很好看。

aretha: now these are the group photographs, families first.
阿丽撒﹕这些是团体相,先是家人的团体相。

bethan: i think i recognise everyone except that lady there, next to your father. who's she?
贝唐﹕ 相中人我都认得,除了令尊身旁那位女士。她是谁?

aretha: oh, that's my aunt martha, my father's eldest sister.
阿丽撒﹕啊,是我姑母玛尔莎,家父的长姊。

bethan: she looks in her sixties. is she a widow?
贝唐﹕ 她看来六十多岁了,是守寡的吗?

aretha: no, she's an old maid. never got married. she's never had any interest in men according to my father.
阿丽撒﹕不是,她是个老处女,从来没有结婚。家父说,她对男人从来没有兴趣。

this is me on my father's arm这一句,be(即is、was等)之后用受词(object)形式的me。假如改用主词(subject)形成的i可不可以?

答案是「可以」,而且较合文法,不过,说起来拗口,所以,be之后的i、they等,一般会改用me、them等,谨再举一例﹕i thought it was my father, and went nearer, but it wasn't him/he(我以为是父亲,走近一点,才发觉不是)。

on one's arm是「挽着某人手臂」,或带「依靠某人」含义,例如﹕(1) supported on his daughter's arm, he left the clinic(他由女儿扶着,离开诊所)。(2) he showed up with a beautiful girl on his arm(他来了,身旁有个美女,挽着他的手)。当然,on one's arm也可以指「在某人手臂上」,例如﹕there was a falcon on his arm(他手臂上站着只猎鹰)。

i recognise everyone except that lady的except,和同样解作「除了」的except for、excepting有什么分别?按except for多用于起句;假如用于句中,则常带「假如不是因为(if it were not for)」的意思。excepting则只用于否定句。例如﹕(1) except for tom, everyone will have to stay behind(除了汤姆,人人都要留下来)。(2) the living room was quiet except for the soft tick of the grandfather clock(除了爷爷钟轻轻的滴答声,客厅一片寂静)。(3) everyone will have to stay behind, not excepting tom(人人都要留下来,汤姆也不例外)。