Learn English free online - how to pronounce word in English - English Learning Online- www.pronounceword.com

名人教英文:在第十四通路

名人教英文:在第十四通路

in aisle number 14
在第十四通路

dorita: could you tell me where the spices are please?
多丽塔﹕可以告诉我香料在哪里吗?

assistant: sure. they're in aisle 14, at the end on the right. i'll show you. just follow me.
店员﹕当然可以,在第十四通路,即右边最远处。我带你去看,跟着我走吧。

dorita: oh thank you... it's cumin i'm looking for.
多丽塔﹕啊,谢谢……我要买的是小茴香。

assistant: it's there on the top shelf, on the left.
店员﹕小茴香在货架最高一格的左边。

dorita: ah yes. i can see it. thank you very much.
多丽塔﹕哈,看到了,谢谢你。

assistant: is there anything else i can help you with?
店员﹕还有什么要我效劳吗?

dorita: well, i also need some pitta bread.
多丽塔﹕嗯,我还想买些空心圆面包。

assistant: oh, that's easy. it's just around the corner in aisle 12.
店员﹕啊,那很容易找到,就在转个角的第十二号通路。

多丽塔想买香料,问店员可不可以帮忙,店员说﹕sure。这个sure,作副词(adverb)用,有几点值得谈谈。

第一,回答问题,用sure一字,是表示「好啊」或「没问题」,等于certainly,例如﹕"will you come with me?" "sure / certainly."(「你会和我一起去吗?」「当然会。」)
第二,sure也可以指「的确」或「一定」,有加强语气作用,改为certainly也可以,例如﹕i sure /certainly will be there(我一定会在那里)。

第三,surely同样是副词,含义却和certainly不同。surely带点疑问语气,certainly则表示毫无疑问,例如﹕(1) surely he was there?(他应该在那里吧?)(2) he certainly was there(他一定在那里)。

今天,香港店员常向顾客说﹕「我有什么可以帮到你?」这根本不是中文,而是硬译英文is there anything i can help you with?,那样下流的翻译,听了令人作三日呕。中文应说的是「有什么要我效劳吗?」

除了is there anything i can help you with?,店员招呼顾客,英文还可说can i help you?(要我效劳吗?)are you looking for something/anything in particular?(是不是要找一些东西?)为顾客做了某事之后,还可以问﹕what else can i do for you?或is there anything else i can help you with? 留意第二句末尾的with不要略去。to help someone with something指「帮助某人做某事」,例如﹕he helped his mother with the housework(他帮母亲做家务)。