Learn English free online - how to pronounce word in English - English Learning Online- www.pronounceword.com

老美说烂的但教科书只字不提的地道美语(4)

13. got you! (骗、吓...)到你了吧!

a: my sister just now called and said she's moving in with us.

a: 我姐姐刚刚打电话来, 说她要搬进来跟我们一块儿住。

b: what?

b: 什么!

a: got you!

a: 上当了吧!

"get you" 是「(骗、吓、捉弄...)到你了吧!」的意思。

14. no-brainer 不必花脑筋的事物

a: how do you use this program? it looks quite complicated.

a: 你怎么样用这个软件呢? 看起来蛮复杂的。

b: no. looks can be deceiving. this thing is actually a no-brainer. let me show you.

b: 不会! 外表有时是会骗人的。这个东西其实很容易(不必花脑筋的)。我玩给你看!

"looks can be deceiving." 是「外表有时是会骗人的」的意思。也许你的竞争对方把自己抬高, 表现出很厉害的样子, 你的朋友就可以说"looks can be deceiving. he may be just a paper tiger."来安慰你。

15. work one's butt off 很努力地(做一件事)

a: i can't believe all my work is gone just like this. i've worked my butt off on this all day.

a: 我不敢相信我的心血就这样丢掉了!我今天整天辛辛苦苦都在搞这个!

b: what happened? computer crashed?

b: 怎么啦? 计算机当了吗?

发现美语里不少口语都跟"butt"(屁屁)有关, 像 "kick ass"、"kiss ass"(见本单元第一页)。 这里的"work one's butt off" 也是。还有一个"freeze one's butt off"(冷得把屁屁冻僵)也是喔!

16. push around 驱使(某人)

a. gary, do you think you can rewrite this paper. i don't really like the topic.

a: gary, 你想你是不是可以把这个报告重写一遍。我并不是很喜欢那个主题。

b: hey, i'm only trying to help you out. you shouldn't be pushing me around like this.

b: 嘿! 我是在帮你忙耶! 你不应该这样指使我喔!