Learn English free online - how to pronounce word in English - English Learning Online- www.pronounceword.com

BBC日常英语习惯用语:Rabbit in the Headlights(MP3)

Rabbit in the Headlights
Finn: Hello. I'm Finn.
大家好! 我是 Finn。
Li: And I'm Li.
我是Li。
Finn: And we're whispering – we're talking very quietly - because we are about to watch an awards ceremony for the best dancer in the UK.
我们说得非常小声——我们小声讲话的原因是我们现在呀(正坐在观众席上)正参加即将开始的伦敦(踢踏舞)大奖赛的颁奖仪式。
Li: Yes – I think it's going to begin now. Shh.
好像马上就要开幕了。嘘!
Awards Host: And the award for best dancer this year goes to… Timmy Tapper!
颁奖仪式主持人:几年的最佳舞者奖获得者是——Timmy Tapper!
(Applause)
掌声起。
Timmy Tapper: Erm, thank you!
呃,谢谢你!
Awards Host: Timmy, would you like to say a few words?
Timmy, 你有什么获奖感言要说吗?
Timmy Tapper: Yes, erm, thank you… to… everybody! Thanks.
是的,嗯,谢谢你们! 谢谢大家!
Finn: (whispers) Li, what happened? He was like a rabbit in the headlights.
(低声地),Li,怎么回事?他看起来好像有点“a rabbit in the headlights”。
Li: I don't know, he was very nervous. But what did you say, Finn, about rabbits?
我不清楚。但是他看起来非常紧张。 但是你刚刚说什么,Finn,呃,什么兔子?
Finn: Oh, rabbits, yes. A rabbit in the headlights. It's a phrase used to describe someone who is so nervous that they can't move or speak.
哦,是的,呃,“ 车前灯下的兔子”。。 这个短语是用来形容某个人因为太紧张而不能动也不能讲话。
Li: I see. Someone who is too nervous to move or speak. But why does it involve headlights – the lights at the front of a car?
我明白了,就是在说某人十分紧张而整个被震住了动不了也说不了话。 但是为什么会提到车前灯呢?
Finn: Well if you think about if you are driving a car at night and you have your headlights on. Suddenly, a rabbit appears in the middle of the road. But it is too scared by the car driving towards for it to run away. It's a rabbit in the headlights.
嗯,如果想象一下你在晚上亮着车灯开车, 突然间,一只兔子出现在路中间。 但是它被冲向它的汽车吓坏了而跑不动。 这就是所谓的车灯下的兔子——极度紧张。
Li: That's a rabbit in the headlights.Oh, Finn, I think Timmy Tapper wants to say something.
原来是这样的呀。 哦,Finn,Timmy Tapper好像想说什么呢。
Finn: Oh yes.
哦,是的。
Timmy Tapper: Oh, sorry. Can I just say one more thing?
哦,不好意思。我能再说几句话吗?
Awards Host: Sure, go ahead, Timmy!
当然。请讲!
(Timmy starts tap dancing)
Timmy开始挑起踢踏舞。
Awards Host: Well, isn't that amazing!
哇,太棒了不是吗?
Li: Ha ha. I think Timmy was nervous speaking in front of everyone here just now, but now he's happy to express himself through tap dancing!
哈哈哈,我想刚刚在众人面前讲话的时候,Timmy可能有点紧张。 但是,现在他用踢踏舞来表达自己是那么得心应手呢。
Finn: He looks very happy doesn't he? And while Timmy dances, I have some advice for everyone. If you want to speak confident English, and not be like a rabbit in the headlights, why not visit our website explore our free English learning materials?
他看起来快乐极了不是吗? 嗯趁这个当儿,我给大家一点建议。 假如你想说一口流利的英语而避免在讲英语时紧张, 去我们的网站上看看吧,免费学习资料任你拿的。
Li: bbclearningenglish.com
bbclearningenglish.com.
Finn: That's it. Bye. Li: Bye.
今天就到此为止吧。再会! 再会!
(Timmy tap dancing)
回到Timmy跳踢踏舞的场景。