Sick
sick
William: Hello and welcome to the English We Speak, I'm William Kremer.
大家好,欢迎来到“日常英语”。我是William Kremer。
Yang Li: And I'm Yang Li.
我是Yang Li。
William: Li, are you wearing make-up?
Li,你今天化妆啦?
Yang Li: Yes, do you like it? It's not too much?
没错,你觉得好看吗?没有太过吧?
William: I think you look sick.
我怎么觉得你有一点”sick”呀!
Yang Li: What?
什么?
William: Sick!
“sick”。
Yang Li: But I feel fine. I'm perfectly healthy.
我很好呀,我身体棒着呢。
William: No, you don't look ill Li, you look sick!
不是,我不是说你看起来病了, Li。 我是说你看起来很”sick”。
Yang Li: Sorry I just don't get it. I'm not ill!
对不起我迷糊了。我没病呀。
William: Sorry Li, I should explain. It's our expression for the day. Lots of young people in the UK use the word sick to mean cool or great.
不好意思,Li,我应该说明一下的。 这是我们时下的表达。 在英国许多年轻人喜欢用“sick”这个单词来表示“酷极了!”“很棒!”。
Yang Li: English can be weird can't it? Sick means cool?
英语还真是奇怪呀,对吧?sick表示“很棒!”
William: Yes, it is a bit odd. I know one teacher who was confused by this word when his student used it in a class.
嗯,是有点。 我知道,一个学生在课室里用了这个词把他的老师也弄迷糊了。
Yang Li: Really? What did they say?
是吗?他们都说什么了?
William: Something like this:
是这样的:
• Student: Mr Griffiths!
Griffiths先生。
• Teacher: Yes?
什么事?
• Student: Sir, are you wearing new shoes?
您的鞋子是新买的吧?
• Teacher: Yes, I am. Why?
没错。怎么了?
• Student: Because they are sick!
他们看起来棒极了!
• Teacher: Sick?
恶心?
• Student: Totally sick, sir.
对,简直太好看了!
• Teacher: Well, young man. As you find them so terrible, how about you give me 100 lines saying… saying…
好哇,你这小子,既然我的鞋子让你觉得恶心,我就罚你抄写一百遍“XXXX”!
• Student: No, no, I like them! Sick means cool!
不,不,我是说我喜欢你谢。Sick指的是“很不错”的意思。
• Teacher: First I've heard of it.
(还能这么用?)可是第一次听说呀。
Yang Li: Lines. Lines are a form of punishment which teachers used to give students – copying out the same sentence again and again. You never had to write lines, did you William?
罚抄是一种惩罚,一种老师要求学生一遍又一遍地抄写同一个句子。 你没被罚过吧,William?
William: Erm... Maybe I won't go into that here!
呃,应该有过啦。在这里就不说了。
Yang Li: So anyway, what do I say if I really am sick?
好吧。 那么,我要是真的病了,用英语怎么说呢?
William: I'm feeling sick. Or I'm feeling ill.
我感觉不舒服或我觉得好像病了。
Yang Li: So we can work it out from the context.
也就是说,我们根据情境是可以猜出它的意思的咯。
William: Exactly, that's it. Anyway, like I was saying I love the make-up Li. But maybe next time don't wear green eye-shadow.
没错。 话说回来,我说过我喜欢你的妆容, 但是下次还是别涂绿色的眼影吧。
Yang Li: Why?
为什么?
William: It makes you look, erm sick.
它让你看起来,呃 很“sick”。
Yang Li: Oh, I give up. Bye.
拜托!你放我一马吧(又来?!)再会!
William: Bye.
再会。