The big day
William: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak, I'm William Kremer.
嗨,欢迎来到大家说英语。我是William kremer
Li: I'm Yang Li and I'm excited!
我是YangLi。我很激动!
William: So I see! Do you want to share with everybody what you're so excited about, Li?
我看出来了。你想告诉大家激动的原因吗,Li?
Li: Oh come on Will, you know why I'm excited.
拜托Will,你知道原因的。
William: I'm not sure I do know why you're excited.
我不确定啊!
Li: Well, here's a little clue...
给你点线索。
Crowds of cheering people
全民兴奋
William: Lots of cheering people. Hmm, is that one of those 75% off sales on Oxford Street?
全民激动,恩,是牛津街二五折吗?
Li: No, no! Listen, here's another clue...
不是,再给条线索。
'Here comes the bride' organ music.
新娘的风琴乐
William: Durr-du-duh duh! Hmm, organ music. Are you going to an organ concert, Li? I didn't know you were interested in that.
嘟嘟乐嘟嘟!管风琴乐。你去参加管风琴音乐会了吗?我不知道你对这个感兴趣。
Li: OK, I'm just going to tell you. This Friday is Prince William and Catherine Middleton's big day, their wedding day.
好吧,我还是告诉你得了。这个礼拜五是威廉王子和凯瑟琳的大日子,结婚日。
William: Ah, I knew that. I was joking.
我早知道了。我刚在说笑额。
Li: Of course you were joking William. We've made lots of programmes about it ,haven't we!
你当然在说笑,William.我们为此准备了很多节目,是吧!
William: Yes, we have. But Li, I think we'd better explain the meaning of 'the big day'. Here 'the big day' means their wedding day. But does 'the big day' always refer to weddings? Listen to these examples:
是的。但是Li,我想我们最好解释下 大日子的意思。这里的大日子就是他们的结婚日。但是大日子就指结婚日吗?我们听听下面的例子:
•A: Guess what?
猜!
•B: What?
猜什么?
•A: Marie and Phil are engaged!
Marie 和 Phill 要订婚了。
•B: You're kidding – wow, that's fantastic news!
真的吗!哇!好消息啊!
•A: I know!
我知道。
•B: So when's the big day? Have they set a date yet?
什么时候呢?他们有定下日子吗?
•C: I don't think Charlie and I will ever get married.
我不认为 Charlie 和 我会结婚。
•D: Oh. Why's that?
为什么?
•C: Because of my mum and dad being divorced. I just know that at the wedding they'll end up having a massive argument; they can't help it.
因为我父母离婚了。我虽然知道他们在结婚那天不会大吵,但他们控制不住自己的。
•D: Oh, surely that won't happen. They would never ruin your big day.
这不会发生的。他们怎么会破坏你的大日子呢。
Li: So in both those examples, the phrase 'big day' was used to describe a wedding.
所以这两个例子里,短语 big day 都用来形容婚礼。
William: Yes, it was. And I think this is how this phrase is usually used, exactly in the way that you used it, Li. People talk about a couple's big day but I've also heard people say 'her big day' to describe the bride's wedding day in particular. It's probably used a little bit less for men.
是的。我认为这个短语就是常用在这个方面,你用的是对的。人们会说这是一对夫妻的大日子,但我也听到有她的大日子的说法来特指新娘的出嫁日。很少用在男人身上。
Li: Hmm, but do you, William, still remember your big day?
恩。那你呢 William,还记得你的婚期吗?
William: I do. But I don't need to remember it now!
记得。但是我不需要现在回想起来!
Li: What do you mean?
什么意思?
William: Well, I always forget it on the day that I should remember it.
我经常在我应该记得的时候忘记这天。
Li: Oh dear, on your anniversary. What a bad husband you are! You might be called William, but I think Prince William is much more romantic than you are!
亲爱的,是你的结婚纪念日。你真是个坏丈夫。你也叫William,但是我想威廉王子一定比你浪漫。
William: Well, we'll see won't we! Now, on our website you'll find lots of other learning English resources relating to the royal wedding, including a photo gallery and a special blog.
我们不是同一人。在我们的网站上,你会发现很多关于皇家婚礼的英语学习资源,包括一个相片美术馆和特殊的博客。
Li: Not to mention my series, 'A royal wedding, an everyday love story'.
更不要说我的资料,“皇家婚礼,恋爱每天”
William: Oh yes, don't miss that!
是的,不能忘了这个
Li: Bye!
再见
William: Bye bye.
再见
'Here comes the bride' organ music fading out.