Learn English free online - how to pronounce word in English - English Learning Online- www.pronounceword.com

BBC日常英语习惯用语:Sponger(MP3)

Sponger
Neil: Hello and welcome to The English We Speak, I'm Neil.
大家好!欢迎收听地道英语。我是m Neil。
Li: And I'm Li. Neil, is that a new watch?
我是Li。Neil,你戴的是块新手表吗?
Neil: Yes I got it from my parents.
嗯,老爸老妈买的。
Li: Oh that's nice.
哦,真好!
Neil: Did I tell you I'm going on holiday soon?
我跟你说过没?我很快会去度假。
Li: No, where?
没提过。去哪里呢?
Neil: To Hawaii.
夏威夷。
Li: Wow, how can you afford a holiday to Hawaii?
哇,你哪有钱去夏威夷呢?
Neil: My in-laws paid for it. We told them it was too expensive but, you know, we just need a holiday.
我岳父岳母买单。 我们跟他们说了会很贵,但是你知道的,我们想出去玩(度假)了。
Li: Hmm… so your in-laws have paid for your holiday too…
呣,也就是说,你的岳父岳母也已经为你付钱了。
Neil: I'm thinking of giving up work actually, Li.
Li,我其实有不想工作的想法。
Li: Giving up work? What about the cost of living?
不工作? 那生活开销怎么办?
Neil: Oh my wife can work. You know what, Li? I really need to move into a bigger house in a nicer part of London.
哦,我老婆能搞定啦。 你知道吗,Li, 我真应该住进伦敦好一点的地方并且住进大一点的房子。
Li: But you just said you're going to give up work! How can you afford a new house if you have no job?
但是你刚刚才告诉我你不工作了。 没工作你怎么住得起新房子?
Neil: My grandparents will give me some money. They always do.
我爷爷奶奶会给我钱。 他们总是给我钱的。
Li: Neil, there's a word for people like you.
Neil,英语里有个单词来形容对于像你这样的人。
You're a sponger!
你就是个sponger!
Neil: A sponger!? How rude!
蹭饭的人! 你太粗鲁了!
A: When I was at university I didn't have no money at all. I had to buy second-hand clothes and I could never afford to go out for a meal even though I had a part-time job.
上大学的时候我根本没什么钱。 我穿二手衣服,尽管有一份兼职,依然没钱出去吃饭。
B: Yeah me too, but there were all these other students with cars and designer labels eating in expensive restaurants all paid for by Daddy. A: What a bunch of spongers.
是呀,我也是! 但是到处会见到那些靠有钱老子开私家车用牌子货上高档餐馆的学生。 一群寄生虫!
B: Yeah.
没错!
Li: A sponger is a person who gets money, food and other things from other people without paying. Often it's used very negatively to describe people who live off state benefits.
sponger指的是从别人那里白拿钱食物和其他一些东西的人。 这个词具有否定意义,在英语中常指靠吃政府救济的人。
Neil: Just like a sponge.
就像海绵一样!
Li: Yes, a sponge.
是的,像海绵!
Neil: A sponge soaks up the water all around it A sponger soaks up gifts, food and money without working. And it can also be used as a verb – to sponge off someone.
海面会把周围的水都吸收到。 一个寄生虫般的人会从别人那里蹭礼物蹭食物蹭钱。 同时也可以当作动词来使用to sponge off someone(向某人蹭东西)。
Li: It's also a verb 'to sponge off someone.' Be careful to use the word 'off' with this verb.
这个词也可以用做动词 to sponge off someone 啃别人。 注意这个动词词组里要使用 off。
Neil: Whether it's a verb or a noun, it's still not a nice thing to say about someone, Li.
Li,不管是当作名词还是动词用,用在别人身上时都不怎么好听!
Li: Well I'm sorry to be rude, but it's true – you are a sponger.
我为我的无礼道歉但是我说的是事实,你就是个寄生虫!
Neil: Yea,you're right. I'm a sponger but I'm proud of it. Do you fancy taking me out for dinner? There's a fantastic restaurant I've been meaning to go to. It's very expensive, but you can afford it Li.
你算是说对了! 我是吃白食的人但是我以此为荣! 想请我吃顿饭吗? 有一家很不错的餐馆我一直都想去。 非常贵但是Li你一定吃得起!
Li: He's trying to sponge a meal off me! What a sponger…
他想在我这儿蹭顿饭! 真是个名副其实的寄生虫!