Get your hands dirty
Neil: Hello, I'm Neil.What a miserable day it is today!
你好,我是Neil。今天这一天过得可真够痛苦的。
Hey, I think that's Li! What on earth's she doing?!She's on her hands and knees in the mud. Li! Yang Li: Oh! Hello! Neil: Are you okay? Yang Li: Yes, I am fine, thanks.
那应该是Li吧?她到底在干嘛?手和膝盖都在泥巴里?Li! 哦,你好。 你没事吧? 是的,我没事!谢谢!
Neil: Is there any particular reason you are in the mud?
你全身是泥,有什么特殊的原因吗?
Yang Li: Oh yes, I am making myself dirty.
哦,是的,我在弄脏我自己。
Neil: Ri-ight.
好……吧。
Yang Li: For the neighbourhood festival - it's tonight you know!
你知道社区的节日快到了,就今晚。
Neil: I know. But I think I'm going to be having a shower and making myself clean, rather than dirty. Maybe this is some kind of low-cost spa treatment...?
我知道。 我觉得,我会把自己弄得干干净净的而不是弄得一身脏兮兮的。 难道你这是什么便宜的美容秘方?
Yang Li: No, this is not a beauty treatment, the festival coordinator told us to do this.
才不是,这不是什么美容方子,节日统筹人让我们这样做的。
Neil: Did he?
是吗?
Yang Li: Yes, last week he asked each of us to contribute and said if it's going to be a success, you must all get your hands dirty.
是的,上个星期他告诉我们,让我们每个人都出分力,他说如果想要成功,那我么面都得get hands dirty
Neil: Ohhhhhh!
哦。
Yang Li: What?
怎么了?
Neil: I don't think he meant you should actually come with dirty hands. It's an expression!
我觉得他并不是要你们带着一对脏手去。 这只是一个表达
Yang Li: An expression?
一个表达?
Neil: Yes. 'To get your hands dirty' means to get really involved in the work - including the parts that are not enjoyable - rather than standing back and watching others do it.
是的。 get your hands dirty是指你要实实在在地参与到某件事情中,包括做一些可能并不怎么好玩的事情。而不是站在那里看着别人做。
Yang Li: Oh.
哦。
Neil: For example.
例如:
Woman: Unlike other bosses, Mr Stevens really likes to get his hands dirty. It's as if he's one of us. Man: Mary pretends to work hard, but I've never actually seen her get her hands dirty.
不像别的老板,Stevens先生真的喜欢亲历亲为, 就像他是我们中的一员 Mary装作工作很努力,但是我从来没看见她亲自做什么事儿。
Yang Li: So what I was actually being asked to do was to get fully involved in festival preparations - I wasn't being asked to arrive with dirty hands.
也就是说,我应该做的是要全力以赴去筹备节日事宜,而不是带着双手的你出现?
Neil: Yes, that' right
是的。
Yang Li: You know what? I don't care, I was really beginning to enjoy myself in the mud, and I'm sure my skin feels softer. Come on Neil, try, this is fun. Let's get our hands dirty - for real! Come on, come on…
你知道吗? 管他呢,我还真的开始有点享受在泥里的感觉了呢,我敢肯定我的皮肤有点柔软了。 过来,Neil,你试一下,很好玩的! 让我们的手都脏起来吧——(才不管它真正是什么意思呢!) 来吧,来呀……
Neil: I'd rather not... no, please... argh!
我才不要……哦,别呀!哎呀……