Learn English free online - how to pronounce word in English - English Learning Online- www.pronounceword.com

职场美语说礼节:同事家中有人去世怎么办(29)

陈豪在北京的abc美国公司工作。他在走廊上远远地看到美国同事amy,连忙赶了过去。

(office ambience)

c:amy, 我有点儿急事想请教你。
a:ok, what is it?

c:跟我一个办公室的todd, 他妈妈在美国去世了。
a:i don't know todd, but i am sorry to hear that.

c:他要回美国奔丧。我想为他做点儿什么,但又不知道怎样做才符合西方的礼节,所以今天早上我一直在躲着他。
a:that's a perfectly natural response. may i suggest a few things?

c:太好了,你快告诉我。

a:first of all, don't avoid him. make a point of going to him immediately and offering your condolences.
c:什么是condolences?

a:condolences就是表示同情、慰问。
c:我唯一能想到的就是 "i'm sorry to hear about your loss." 就这么一句好像不太够吧?

a:sometimes that's all you can say. if you try to say more, it may be the wrong thing.
c:是呀,我也是怕说多了反而坏事。

a:if you can, follow your statement of condolence with an offer to help.
c:帮忙, 可我能帮什么忙呢?

a:think of what he may need that you can do. you might offer to take him to the airport.
c:开车送他去机场确实是个好主意,可惜我没车。

a:what about work issues? are there things you can help him with while he is away?
c:对呀,我们是一个组的,他请假,我可以承担一部分他的工作。我这就去跟他说。谢谢你,amy.

******

mc:午饭时陈豪又看见了amy.

a:chen hao, how did things go with todd?
c:你说得没错。我说可以承担他的工作,todd显得如释重负。另外,我还想到了其它可以出力的地方。

a:what was that?
c:todd是我的邻居,他养了一只猫,叫fluffy. 我告诉他说,他离开这段时间,我可以照顾fluffy, 他听了以后特别高兴。

a:it is important to be specific at times like these. so often people simply say, "let me know if there is anything i can do to help."
c:amy, 你觉得我还需要送花和卡片吗?

a:you can, but that's not necessary since you are expressing your sympathy in a concrete way.
c:todd还让我帮他取信。我有他公寓的钥匙。他回来之前,我还可以帮他买点儿新鲜蔬菜和水果。

a:you see how easy it is to think of acts of service for people who are grieving?
c:是啊,我们总是不好意思求别人办事,要是能主动提出来,那是再好不过的了。

a:that's right. too often when people don't know what to do at a time of loss, they end up not doing anything.
c:幸亏有你,amy.