this is In The News.U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry saidefforts are not ending to find a cease-firebetween Israel and Hamas militants in Gaza.America's top diplomat said "This is a broad effort.At this moment we are working toward a brief,seven-day cease-fire in honor of Eid."The holiday of Eidmarks the end of the Muslim observance of Ramadan.He stood next to Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shukrias he spoke in Cairo.Mr. Kerry said details of a framework, or guidelines,toward a stop in the fighting are still under discussion.He said Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told himhe wants to find a way to make progressalthough Israeli media saidMr. Netanyahu's cabinet had rejected the framework.Mr. Kerry said a break in fighting will give everyone involvedthe chance to examine issues that have causedweeks of deadly violence between Israelis and Palestinians.Mr. Kerry, Mr. Shukri and U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moonhave been trying to get both Israelisand Palestinians to stop the violence.More than 800 Palestinians have now diedin Israel's offensive against Hamas militants.Reports say Thursday was the deadliest dayof the 18-day-long military campaign.Among the victims were at least 15 Palestiniansin a school operated as a shelter by the United Nations.Israel said one of its soldiers was killed in Gaza on Friday.That brought the number of soldiers killed to at least 32.So far, rocket and mortar attacks by Palestinianshave killed at least two Israeli civilians.On Friday, rockets launched by Hamasset off warning signals around Tel Aviv.Several rockets were shot down.But one hit a building in Ashkelon. No one was hurt.In the West Bank, many Palestinians marchedin the northern village of Hawara in support of Gaza.Thousands also demonstrated over the night.Many observers are calling that demonstration the biggest protestin the West Bank in about 10 years.Protesters in East Jerusalem threw rocksand Molotov cocktails at an Israeli security point.Palestinian health workers said one person was shot deadand 200 others were wounded when Israeli troops returned fire.The unrest continued into Fridaywith reports of four more deaths near Nablus and Hebron.At the Al-Aqsa mosque in the Old City of Jerusalem,Israeli security forces barred menunder the age of 50 from entering the area.The action led to more clashes between the opponents.Police Minister Yitzhak Aharonovitch told the Israeli Army radio"We have had a very difficult night."Earlier this week, Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal saidhe supported a stop in fighting and set his own conditions.Hamas demands that Israel eases restrictionson the 1.8 million Palestinians in Gaza.The group also calls for the release of hundreds of prisonersseized in the West Bank last month.And it wants Egypt to open its border with Gaza.Both Israel and Egypt consider Hamas a security threat.And that's In the News, from VOA Learning English.更多听力请访问51voa.com